Thursday, July 8, 2010

53 Days and Counting!

So it finally hit me today that I am really leaving for Nicaragua at the end of the summer. I've been so caught up in the excitement of my invitation, that I didn't even notice how quickly time's been flying. Aside from filling out the mountain of paperwork in my invitation kit and obsessing over current volunteers' blogs and packing lists, I've also been trying to spend as much time as possible with the people I love. I'm down to less than two months now, and it's starting to hit me that I'm really going to be away for two years. I know I'll be having the time of my life in Nicaragua, but it's impossible to think about being away from my family and friends for that long.

Right now, all I can say is that no matter how difficult it's going to be to say goodbye, I know this is what I'm meant to be doing. I've always wanted a chance to enact positive changes and to feel as though I've really worked to make a difference. This is my opportunity to step outside the box and break free of the post-college monotony I've come to dread. I'm going to see what it's like to live in a radically different corner of the world. I'll be completely immersed in a new culture, and I'll (hopefully) become comfortable communicating in Spanish. My daily work will be teaching children and community members how to preserve their natural resources. I'll be responsible for teaching environmental science in three primary schools, and I couldn't be more excited to pursue my passion for teaching there! Together we'll come up with sustainable methods of conservation and awaken community-wide environmental awareness.

I'm thrilled to be embarking on such an incredible adventure, and can't wait to see how I'll hold up under the pressures and difficult situations that are sure to arise. I'll be tested and challenged daily, but I know I'll come out stronger and more resilient than I can imagine right now.

Here's to enjoying every second of summer I've got left, and to preparing for the journey of a lifetime!

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE YOU KRISTA & I HOPE YOU HAVE THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE IN NICARAGUA!!(hope i spelt it right)
    ~Livi Lendle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thrilled that you have found such a worthwhile outlet for your passion. You have been blessed with an amazing gift for teaching and I believe in my heart that Nicaragua will truly be enriched by your presence. You will be facing many challenges each day but I know that you are more than capable of meeting and overcoming each one. I love you and will be praying for your safety and ability to affect positive change as you follow your dream. Don't forget to write (email) often and call your family once in a while. God bless you and your work and come home safe in 2012! Love, your momma (F.M.). P.S. Hoping to meet you in Cancun next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...51 by now. Can't believe that's it. I completely agree with your mom! You will have as great an impact on everyone you meet there as they will on you. You're an amazing person inside/out and that ultimately translates into any language. I wish you nothing but the best for your time in Nicaragua and cannot wait to hear all about your adventures. Enjoy the rest of your summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. krista, you are a inspiration to all and you will be changing the lives of so many individuals. go out there and change the world- you are the best ever and i admire you and your willingness to teach, experience new things and follow YOUR dreams- no one elses.

    good luck, you will be missed tons by me and i know that even though we are going to be apart for two years, nothing between us will change...ever.

    i love you so much sis! keep in touch and i will continue to keep creeping on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Krista! I'm going to be an EE volunteer in Nica too! We are going to be training together I'm sure. I'm so excited! :)

    I can't find your last name, but I'd love to facebook & chat a little bit before we head out. I can't believe it's almost here. It'd be nice to know a couple of faces when we get there. You can do a facebook search for my email, slskiles@uga.edu to add me. Can't wait to meet you!

    Cheers!

    -Sara Skiles

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some people search their whole lives to find a purpose/place of meaning in this world. You are lucky to have found yours this early and to be using all your gifts everyday to make a difference. I am so proud of you and everything you are doing. You are such an inspiration to me and I know that you will continue to be this for some time. I love you so much and I'm posting this on my facebook so everybody else can see what an awesome friend I have..and so I can stay updated on all the things you are doing <3

    -Casey Jean

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Krista, I will also be going to Nicaragua August 31st! I will be in the TEFL Training and Teaching program, so I don't know how often we'll be in contact, but I just thought I'd say hi and let you know that someone else is as excited and nervous as you are! Good luck preparing to go, and feel free to look me up on facebook (Truman State network) since I don't have a blog. I'll see you in the land of lakes and volcanoes :)

    Andrea Morris, amorris5658@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck...I'm sure it will be quite a journey. I'm proud of you for being able to sacrifice so much of your time for a cause that will better the lives of others.

    As far as being away from everyone is concerned, the two years will fly by faster than you might expect. Plus...I'm sure you'll have no regrets with how you've chosen to spend your time. (Think of SUM...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. im not gonna bother reading it cuz i know what its gonna say and its to long. woah just found there is gonna be a mission impossible 4!!!!! Wow you dont know wut ur missing. well have fun. watch for bed bugs. they are bad lately. respond at terminato991@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. im terminato just to let u know. Ya uh does anyone know how much it costs for shipping so i can send krista a christmas present? If its over 10$ ill just ask my mom for the money. Ill send some all american skittles from the north east.

    ReplyDelete