Sunday, August 8, 2010

"What made you wanna do that?!"

Every time I tell someone new that I'm headed into the Peace Corps, I'm met with one of two responses. Half the time, the person I'm talking to gets immediately excited and begins explaining to me how badly she wants to travel, or how he wishes he was brave enough to take such a huge leap, or how she knows it will be amazing to live completely immersed in a new culture for the next two years, or how he hopes it will impact me in ways I can't yet perceive. Generally these people are super supportive and enthusiastically positive. They beg for pictures and stories and can't wait to see how it all unfolds. Needless to say, these conversations are sooo encouraging and exciting to have! =)

The other half of the people I talk to all respond exactly the same way: "Wow...the Peace Corps? What made you want to do that!?" Their looks of polite surprise typically fade to horror as soon as I tell them it's a two year commitment and that I'm willing to live at the standards of my new community in a third world country for that long on practically no salary. "But you'd be giving up everything you have here!" "But what about settling down? You'll be almost 27 when you come back!" "There are people here you can help, why not help them?" "Won't you get some horrible disease there?" And the one that everyone feels the need to point out..."Two years is a longgg time!" (As if I didn't fully consider all of those things before applying, during the interviewing process, and when I received my invitation.)

Depending on my mood, I generally respond graciously and try to assume that such discouraging remarks are the product of concern for my safety, rather than blatant disapproval of such a life-changing decision. The good part of those conversations though, is that I'm forced to really consider and discuss why it is that I do, in fact, want to join the Peace Corps.

To me, Peace Corps is the opportunity of a lifetime. The government is paying for me to live in a new part of the world - Nicaragua, The Land of Lakes and Volcanoes - while I am able to live my dream of making a difference in our global community. I'm going to receive three months of intense language, cultural, and technical training that will benefit me long after my two years of service in Nicaragua. I'll be teaching, which has been my passion for as long as I can remember, and I'll be doing so completely in Spanish! I'll come home a new person who's met and overcome challenges no one here has ever had to deal with. I'll have amazing grad school options and awesome job opportunities.

None of the above-stated benefits however, were what got me interested in joining the Peace Corps. Instead, it was my desire to positively impact the world around me coupled with my need to break out of the "normal" expectations of life after college. I've never understood how people can be happy just staying in one place and working in one job for their entire lives. I'm in no way trying to belittle those who are content in one place. All I'm saying is that I'm nowhere near ready for any kind of permanence in my life right now. I'm only 24! I want to travel and explore and really get to know what it's like outside of the NY bubble. I want to meet people with a different perspective on life, and gain a new perspective for myself. I want to learn about the world through my own experiences, rather than by watching or reading about other people who have traveled it. More importantly, I want to know that my daily work will have a lasting positive impact and that my skills are being used where they are needed most. I wish I could say that going into the Peace Corps is entirely selfless and that I'm doing it strictly to make a difference in the lives of the people I'm working with, but it's so much more than that. I know I'm going to be completely changed by the people I meet and the experiences I'll have there.

Sure, I know there are going to be real struggles and challenges. I know that living without many of the luxuries I'm used to will be difficult. I know that coming home without an established 401K will be a disadvantage. I know many of my friends may be comfortably settled down when I return. I know two years is a longggg time. I also know that this will be the experience of a lifetime, and I'd rather have that, than the security of knowing exactly how things will turn out. =)

To those of you who have been behind me this whole way, thank you so so much. It means the world to me and I couldn't have done it without you. You know who you are, and for your support I am truly grateful. <3 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ In 1961, President John F. Kennedy established the Peace Corps to promote world peace and friendship.

The Peace Corps' mission has three simple goals:

1. Helping the people of interested countries in meeting their need for trained men and women.
2. Helping promote a better understanding of Americans on the part of the peoples served.
3. Helping promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of Americans.

http://www.peacecorps.gov/

6 comments:

  1. I agree with everything in this post so much that these words are my words as well. It's so nice going through this crazy journey with someone else and not alone. :) 3 WEEKS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Estoy completamente de acuerdo contigo. Looks like we've got a lot in common(like I suppose many PCVs do). I have similar struggles with people expressing disbelief at my choice, and I personally think that they are a bit defensive because they thing that I will judge them for not 'doing more.' What I want to tell them is that I don't begrudge them for their choices, but I have to do what feels right to me, and right now, for the next two years, that's Peace Corps. Everyone needs to find their own way to do what's right in their view. I just hope they're doing it with open eyes and an open mind. I look forward to meeting you in DC and then in Nicaragua!

    -Andrew BoddySpargo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh just stumbled here by accident and noticed that you wrote something new!! Amazing post. I fully understand your reason for doing this. As hard as it's going to be to not have the luxury of talking with you or seeing you as often as we'd like, we can only stand behind you and trust that this is what you're meant to be doing. I personally believe that to know you, and to know the person you are is to support your decision 100%. You have a knack for impacting the lives you enter in such a positive way so I know you'll be amazing at this. You're absolutely right, 2 years IS a long time and I'm sure I'll be missing you a whole lot but there's also plenty of excitement here. I cant wait to read what you write, see your pictures (AND vids!!), and hear all about there. Basically...I'm beyond proud of you =P

    To the two posters above: good luck!! and I hope you have an amazing experience there =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Krista you rock. You're doing something you have talked about doing for many years. You've given this a lot of thought, weighed the pros and cons and you're going for it. If you never did this it would be something that you would have regretted and lived a life of what ifs.. I'm proud of you and you don't owe anyone an explanation. For those who know you well they also know that this is the right place and time in your life to be doing this. Yes, we'll miss you and there will always be that part of us that wishes you weren't going but we're behind you 100%. If there are some who can't understand that then they really don't understand or 'get' you. Love you lots and keep doing what you do and never stop being you. Tante:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So...I don't think 2 years is that long a time. I feel like I just met you yesterday and turned around and here we are 6 years later! Plus you'll be doing sooooo many things and having so many new adventures that the time will literally fly. You know I've been a supporter of you going to Peace Corps forever and I'm happy you're finally doing it!(Although I will probably have to work hard to keep from rolling my eyes throughout our ENTIRE reunion dinner in 2 years when you're waxing poetic about the world and touching lives and how we can all make a difference and I'm keeping track of the time on my latest electronic leash and worrying about how to make my rich clients richer, lol). I'm a firm believer that we all hit a point in life where outside observers will split into two camps, those who support and are proud of us regardless of our choices and those who can see only the negative aspects of everything we do. In the end, nobody in either of those groups has to answer for the life we choose to live so I say do what feels right and makes you happy. Trite and cliche but hey "follow your heart". This is such a crazy time in our lives, where we have so many options and so much freedom to create that it can be scary. We all need people like you to take the leaps and follow the opportunities and live the lives that most of us are scared to so that even if we can't learn through our own experiences, we can learn through yours. You've made a great decision and this is going to change your life for the better, I say keep taking risks, and to the people who react in polite consternation, smile and respond by encouraging them to do one small thing they're afraid to try. Maybe moving to a whole new country is too great a leap for some, but pushing your personal boundaries even the slightest bit can cause a shift that will change your entire life and perspective. "One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching." XOXO~ C

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miss you so incredibly much already best friend. Love you and good luck. Thinking of you always. -Nic

    ReplyDelete