Saturday, September 18, 2010

Just a Few Blog-able Moments

There have been so many shall we say “blog-able” moments this week, but I've been so incredibly busy with Spanish classes; gardening, composting, and organic pesticide practicums; medical talks about dengue and malaria; rabies and typhoid vaccinations; lesson planning discussions; and youth group meetings, that I haven't had time to write any of them down. I guess we'll see what highlights come to mind right now for those of you who have requested to hear about my day-to-day experiences here. Excuse the format though, since I don't have much time. In my youth group we had to have the “jovenes,” or kids ages 13-22, create a “lluvia de ideas,” or a rain of ideas, about recycled materials projects they would like to try out. (Similar to “brainstorming” in English I suppose.) Given my lack of cyber time at the moment, I shall now present you with my “lluvia de momentias blogables.”

*Watching chickens climb the mango tree while brushing my teeth in the backyard the other morning.* There's a ladder there that the chickens and roosters like to climb! They actually sit up really high in the branches of the tree! Pretty bizarre sight if you ask me.

*Sneaking food to my host dog when nobody's looking, only to find out he doesn't eat boiled plantains...boo!!* Dogs here are treated simply as pest control and guard animals, and are therefore not played with or fed very well at all. Generally the food is pretty good here, but one can only take so many tortillas and beans before one is willing to share with the sad eyed, hungry dog. He and I have a decent system worked out where he'll only come into the kitchen if I'm eating alone and have some scraps to spare; but the other day, to my dismay, I found out he hates boiled green plantains just as much as I do! Either he's not as hungry as I thought, or they're just that bad. I'm going with the latter in this case.

*Waking up at 4am to the sound of fighting dogs and roosters, sure that there was a bat in my room again.* Luckily, when I mustered up the guts to turn my light on (which I can thankfully reach from my bed without opening my mosquito net), I realized that it was only a HUGE toad (or frog?) that came in to escape the monsoon. The light scared him and I rustled around in my bed enough to convince him I was a threat. He decided to chill just outside my door instead. My host fam was quite amused by “mi amigo, zapo” as they called him.

*Getting poured on last night while brushing my teeth and admiring the sleeping chocoyos.* My family here has 3 small green parrots. It's sad since they used to live wild here in the rain forests in Nicaragua. Luckily laws have been put in place to stop the selling of wild animals such as them, but they are hardly ever enforced. Anyway, while I was watching them sleep and brushing my teeth, I could hear the rain starting up down the street. Within 3 seconds, it hit my “patio,” or backyard, HARD! I was soaked before I had time to rinse hahaha. Yet another moment for my host sisters and I to laugh about.

*Last but not least: Getting woken up by a mariachi band at 3:45 this morning!!* Apparently in Nicaragua, it is customary for a girl who is turning 15 to get serenaded the morning/night of her birthday! They were right on the corner of my block and sounded like they were in my bedroom! I´m headed to the quinceañera later on today, so that should be fun!

More to come soon, ¨si Dios quiere.¨ (If God wishes), as they say here all the time.

5 comments:

  1. So thoroughly thrilled to read all the fun adventures. Omi just got home and will be checking your blog shortly. I'll let everyone on FB know that you posted and I'll write other stuff to you on there, too. Love you lots! Momma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't help but hear the song 'a whole new world' from Aladdin in my head when I read your blog. I thought the toad/frog thing was pretty funny though. Naturally I like the fact that you're sneaking the dog food:) just don't get caught. Love ya, Tante

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha this is the best thing ever! Ok, so first, it's boiled GREEN plantains?? EW! thought it was the sweet (ripe) yellow ones. Guess I feel your pain! Here's an alternative for them though...fry them, flatten it with your hands and add a pinch of salt if available. AMAZING..one of my favorites. I love the system you have worked out with el perro. He's gotta be excited you're there =).

    About the fighting dogs..been there! Gosh I feel like you're talking about JA. Umm..SEE..that frog/toad is the reason why I'm grossed out by them and never caught any when I was younger. Seen plenty of those in my day. Aww to your host fam tho. I love it.

    Ahh the rain! Can I tell you that in Ja, we used to hear it coming too, and try to out run/drive it<3 Never did work though lol..(srry for the multitude of references from there btw =P). Glad to hear you and your fam have moments like that. It sounds so cute.

    Interesting about the quince and the mariachi band (almost wrote marching btw =x lol). That's pretty cool. Hope you had fun at the party!!

    Hmm..I realize that this is insanely long..sorry! Needed to comment on all those. They were too perfect lol.
    Missing you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Krista for the wonderful moments-it's fun being a part of your world although I'll pass on the frog/toad in my room! Sounds like you are adapting well to your new world (that's for your Tante) but there was never a doubt! Your host family is very lucky to have you and you them. I'm glad you are safe and happy and making so many memories-hope you are writing everything down for us! Stay safe, healthy & happy. Nothing but love across the miles...<3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your posts are a breath of fresh air...even if you're not feeling that way zipped in your netting and getting rained upon, etc. If your "live" experience is as entertaining as your posts, then you must really be enjoying it. That's what shines through in your writing. (Hope you're able to print these and maybe have them bound once you're back.)

    Good for you sticking up for Fido. Good to have him on your side.
    And the mere phrase "Watching chickens climb mango trees..." is funny.

    You sound terrific!
    mucho love and hugs from the Glendale Lendles!

    ReplyDelete