Friday, April 8, 2011

Blessings

I have to write right now, just to acknowledge the amazing amount of selfless kindness I've received in the last hour.  I honestly believe that Dona Lidia is an angel that's just here watching over me and making me smile at the times when I need her most.  

Today I literally ran from dawn til dusk, and therefore was starving when I got out of English class at 8pm. [Sidenote: I now have 3 different levels of English classes because having 44 students with different levels was just not working for me or for them. My intermediate class met today, and I didn't speak a word of Spanish to them!! LOVE IT!]  Anyway, I had to walk to the director's house (aka my old host house) before going home to leave her school keys with her.  As I made my way outside, the neighbors, Dona Lidia and Don Dolores, were outside across the street on their front porch and immediately pulled out an extra chair for me.  They then asked me if I had already eaten dinner, and when I said no, they immediately prepared me a plate. “Que barbaridad” to think that I was going to cook for myself at 8 o'clock at night!  So I ate some amazing gallo pinto, complete with green plantain, (which I've grown to love) and avocado <3.  They even had a ginger fresco for me! 

So I ate way more than I  would have even thought about preparing for myself (I was thinking oatmeal or a banana), and then I sat with them for almost an hour, just talking about life.  After chatting, I decided I should probably head home because 9pm is really late here and I didn't want to overstay my welcome.  Of course Dona Lidia offered to walk me home (half a block and around the corner) because she's just awesome like that.  While we walked, she reminded me again how I could call on them for any and everything.  Then, like a true mother (and like every other neighbor/friend I have here), she told me to be sure to lock up tight at night, and not to open my door to anyone.  After giving her a quick tour of the new house, I said goodnight and locked up tight. 

As I re-entered my house from the back door after using the latrine, I heard a knock on my door.  I was almost “asustada” (scared), but I looked out my front window to see Don Dolores sitting on my front porch on a wooden rocking chair!  He and Dona Lidia walked me over two of their wooden rocking chairs, insisting that I use them because they had plenty.  They said that when I have company, I'll need to have seats for them.  Dona Lidia told me that they may not have a lot, but that they have more than enough to share. <3 That statement right there, sums her up completely.  I'm so thankful for the people like her that I've come to know here. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment